authentication question

Emre Ersin emreersin at baskent.edu.tr
Fri Mar 14 09:52:02 CET 2008

Hi,

I am trying to authenticate our wired Windows users by using rlm_perl module
over secured IMAP. When I give radtest command with a user-name and
user-password it accepts;

# radtest USERNAME PASSWORD localhost 0 testing123 Sending Access-Request of
id 201 to 127.0.0.1 port 1812
        User-Name = "USERNAME"
        User-Password = "PASSWORD"
        NAS-IP-Address = 255.255.255.255
        NAS-Port = 0
rad_recv: Access-Accept packet from host 127.0.0.1:1812, id=201, length=20
*Radeapclient also works if I supply User-Password.

But xp supplicants (naturally) doesn't send user-passwords while using
eap-md5. And I really don't want to create thousands of client certificates.
Which protocol do I have to use or...

Is it possible? Is there a way to authenticate winxp (and vista (and also
Macos users)) users without installing any client program?

Supplicant (winxp) ---- NAS (hp2626) -------- WAN

                          RS -- rlm_perl ----- IMAP(s)
                                             or POP3(s)
                                              servers