MACAddress silent authentication in LDAP using freeradius2.0.2

Eric Martell workoutexcite at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 19:09:13 CET 2008

Please let me know if this topic is already discussed
or has doc/wiki. If yes please guide me to the right
thread. Thanks.

We are going to use MACaddress as silent
authentication. When the users tries to connect to the
WIFI Access point, Aptilo Networks is going to send
MacAddress as User-Name attribute of freeradius.
User-Password attribute will be empty.

We are storing MAC Addresses in the LDAP under the
device tree thru user interface tools. The LDAP tree
is as,

deviceid = 111
macaddress = 001122334455
devicename = Personal PC.

deviceid = 222
macaddress = 001199887766
devicename = SIP Phone.

How do I configure ldap module in the freeradius so
that it checks if the MACaddress exists in LDAP and
returns Access-Accept or Access-Reject along with
reply of devicename.

Not sure how do I handle this in authorization or
authentication or post-auth? There are NO passwords.

I am using freeradius-2.0.2. Is there a way I can use
"unlang" ?

Thanks and Regards.