WPA_Supplicant re-authentication

Jouni Malinen jkmalinen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 13:59:08 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Arran Cudbard-Bell
<A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:

>  I know this isn't strictly a FreeRADIUS issue but many of the users of
>  the list are involved in academia and so may have come across this with
>  their linux users.
>
>  wpa_Supplicant appears to work fine on wireless networks, but on wired
>  networks it attempts to re-authenticate every 30 seconds..

I don't see any connection here to FreeRADIUS (or the authentication
server in general), but well anyway.. Would it be possible to get a
debug log from wpa_supplicant showing this? I would like to see a log
with timestamps (-ddt on command line) to be able to reproduce similar
NAS behavior for my own tests. It would also be useful to get a packet
capture log of the EAPOL frames (e.g., with tcpdump or wireshark from
the client) showing couple rounds of authentication. Feel free to send
these directly to me (j at w1.fi) since this is getting quite off topic
for this mailing list.

>  I can't find the root cause for this; packet traces show no EAPOL
>  activity prior to re-authentication and the supplicant itself reveals
>  nothing in it's output or logs.

I would assume it does show something, but maybe nothing obvious. This
is likely triggered by an authentication timeout in the supplicant.

>  The only possible explanation I can think of, is the out-of-order
>  EAP-Notification packet the ProCurve NAS sends after the EAP-Success
>  packet. Could this confuse the supplicant into thinking the session was
>  ongoing, and then time out after 30 seconds and restart the
>  authentication process ? It certainly breaks the EAP Spec..

That sounds broken.. If the authenticator (NAS) sends
EAP-Request/Notification after a successful authentication (i.e.,
after having sent EAP-Success), this is likely assumed to be a request
for re-authentication. I would expect that this starts some timers in
the supplicant and if the authenticator does not do anything at this
point, authentication timeout will trigger supplicant do try to
complete the authentication.

>  It anyone else experiencing this with different NAS?

I haven't tested this with ProCurve, but at least my tests with a
Cisco switch have not shown similar behavior, i.e., wpa_supplicant was
authenticating just once and only if the NAS was configured to
re-authenticate (e.g., after an hour), would new authentication be
started (by the NAS).

- Jouni