vmps documentation?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Mar 27 15:00:55 CET 2008

bmccorkle wrote:
> Can someone point me to documentation on how to use vmps in freeradius 2?

  Er...  Documentation?

> I've googled for documents but only find a few discussions on the topic
> (mostly from this forum).  I get the part on adding the listen section in
> radiusd.conf so the server listens for vmps requests.  However, I'm having
> trouble understanding the actual coding to do the comparison of the mac
> address in the request against the mac address list.

  You can do it any way you want!

  Yes, that's not very helpful... more examples and documentation would
be very useful.

>  Also, the one or two
> examples I have seen seem to use a mysql database to store the mac
> addresses.  Can freeradius use a simple text file to store the mac addresses
> for comparison or do they need to be stored in a database?

  It can use a text file.  You can store MAC addresses in a text file
(man rlm_passwd), and then check membership of that text file at run time.

  If you have an example that works, please send it over, and we'll
include it in the next release.