Freeradius and OpenLDAP authentication with hashed passwords

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Mar 31 13:34:56 CEST 2008

mel wrote:
> I've managed to setup FreeRadius with OpenLDAP. The passwords however,
> are hashed (e.g. "{SHA}....") in LDAP. Authenticating directly to LDAP
> works, but it failed with Freeradius.

  What does that mean?

> If the  password is in plain-text,
> authentication is successful.

  Well, yes.  See:

http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html

  Some authentication methods are not compatible with SHA'd passwords.

> What are the setting in FR that I need to do in order for the
> authentication to work? - i.e. FR takes the plain-text password, hash
> it, then compared it with the one in LDAP.

  FreeRADIUS does that automatically... IF it receives a password in the
Access-Request.  If it doesn't receive a password in the Access-Request,
what you want to do is impossible.

  See the web page for more explanations.