0 Session Length, radrelay or Freeradius causing issues

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue May 13 10:16:15 CEST 2008

Etienne Pretorius wrote:
> I need to know why the radrelay application stops replacation when it
> comes across a 0 session length packet.

  Because the RADIUS server says that the accounting packet was not
processed, so radrelay tries to send it again.  This is what a NAS does
when it does not receive a reply to an accounting request.

> This morning I found a 40Mb backlog file for each server and realised
> that it was the 0 session-length packet again.
>
> I know FreeRadius does complain about it but it still logs this
> accounting packet into the sql database. So is it because FreeRadius
> indicates that an error (0 Session Length?). If so could I not just
> somehow tell FreeRadius to stop complaining and just accept the stupid
> packet. (As I am passing configurable triggers via 0 session length
> radius packets).

  You need to tell the RADIUS server that it should respond to the
accounting request with 0 session length.

  Grab CVS head, and read raddb/sites-available/copy-acct-to-home-server

  It explains this.  Also, in 2.0, "radrelay" is part of the server, and
works much better than in 1.1.x.