Dynamic VLAN and FreeRadius

Joe Vieira jvieira at clarku.edu
Thu May 22 18:12:49 CEST 2008

HI Joel,

    I think the issue here is that the D-Link AP's you have are rather
limited.

Radius can not ever assign an SSID because that step occurs before the
user authenticated.  Wireless starts with an association from the user
to the AP's SSID from there the AP decides what needs to happen.

Radius can affect VLAN's (generally at least in the Cisco world with
'Tunnel-Private-Group-ID', like you meantioned) but you'll never be able
to force a user to switch SSID's because that is client controlled.

AP's map VLAN's to SSID's internally some allow n to 1  and 1 to n
relationships, others like your d-links only allow a direct mapping.

Basically it sounds like you are limited by the constraints of you NAS.

Joe Vieira
UNIX Systems Administrator
Clark University