FreeRADIUS 2 not listening on right port

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed May 28 21:11:03 CEST 2008

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Please note, this bug only seems to be present in the F-9 (recently
>> released version 9 of Fedora).
>>
>> For the time being I will build the F-9 FreeRADIUS packages without
>> optimization until this is resolved.
>>

> is it a case of this bug doing OTHER things to the codebase etc
> or is it worth ONLY turning off optimization for the single
> bit of affected code. turning off optimization for the routines
> that deal with encryptions etc could be painful.

This is a good question. The compiler folks have not responded yet so I
don't know if this is an isolated issue in specific code or a more
general problem which might rear it's head elsewhere. Unscientific
hallway conversations have not turned up any other known F-9 compiler
bugs, so this might be isolated to just one function. But in the absence
of concrete information about the extent of the compiler malfunction the
only prudent thing to do is to completely disable optimization on the
belief correct program behaviour trumps performance, especially on a
brand new OS release. When more concrete information is known I will
consider rebuilding with different optimization.

If someone wants to be a guinea pig and run with optimization disabled
only on packet.c and see if they have any anomalous behaviour then I'm
sure we would all benefit from that experiment, however I cannot in good
conscience push such a package into general distribution at this stage.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>