Freeradius error: "Discarding conflicting packet"

aland aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Nov 5 22:00:41 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 12:43:07AM -0200, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> OK, AP's are broken, now with best regards, how I convince to my boss
> that he should buy more than 30 new AP's, should I tell him... "read
> the freeradius mailing list"?

  Tell him that I co-wrote RFC 5080, which says that these AP's are
broken:

   When sending requests, RADIUS clients MUST NOT reuse Identifiers for
   a source IP address and source UDP port until either a valid response
   has been received, or the request has timed out.

  These AP's violate the standards, and are broken.  I know, because my
name is on the standards.

  My name is also on the RADIUS "guidelines" document, which says how
people should use RADIUS in the future.  And my name is going on 3-4
other RADIUS standards.

  So it's not "people on the FreeRADIUS list told me", but instead "the
people who wrote the standards say that the AP is broken".