Regular Expression Syntax Error: Invalid regex in realm

Gökhan Eryol gokhaneryol at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 11:16:34 CET 2008

Hi all,

I'm trying to use regular expressions as realm names in the proxy.conf
file. There is an example and explanation of writing regular
expression as a realm name in the proxy.conf file. However it is not
working even if I write down the given example. Radius startup breaks
up with the error message:

Invalid regex in realm "~*\.example\.com$"

My proxy.conf file is look like:

..
..
..
realm "~*\\.example\\.com$" {
     authhost = LOCAL       # not strictly necessary
     accthost = LOCAL       # not strictly necessary
}

realm DEFAULT {
..
..
..

and the output is as follows:

~# radiusd -X
FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.1, for host i686-pc-linux-gnu, built on Nov  3
2008 at 16:11:36
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 The FreeRADIUS server project and contributors.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
You may redistribute copies of FreeRADIUS under the terms of the
GNU General Public License v2.
Starting - reading configuration files ...
..
..
..
realm ~*\.example\.com$ {
/usr/local/etc/raddb/proxy.conf[485]: Invalid regex in realm "~*\.example\.com$"
} # realm ~*\.example\.com$
eryol:~#

What is the syntax for writing regular expressions as realm names for
Freeradius 2.1.1 ? Has the update of explanations in proxy.conf file
forgotten or my configuration contains any error?

Thanks for your help.
Best regards,

Gokhan Eryol