hostapd + freeradius + windows users problem

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Nov 14 10:32:23 CET 2008

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Jouni Malinen wrote:
>> The following RFC 3580 Chapter 2.1 text is one reason for hostapd behavipr:
>
>   Hmm... OK.
>
>> As far as I can tell, that is describing multiple re-authentications
>> for a single RADIUS session. Should the Supplicant decide to change
>> its identity (e.g., switch between user and machine credentials)
>> without stopping the session (disassociate/EAPOL-Logoff), I don't see
>> how the Authenticator (NAS) should handle this case.
>
>   That's really a problem with RADIUS.  There is no definition of what
> defines a "session".
>
>> It sounds like
>> you are asking to arbitrarily pick the first identity (or create a new
>> session, which would not comply with this RFC 3850 text) while hostapd
>> is arbitrarily picking the last used identity within the same session.
>
>   Look at it from the point of view of the RADIUS server, or the
> administrator running it.  A session starts, with a particular
> User-Name, an Acct-Session-Id, and a bunch of other attributes
> "identifying" the session.  Then at some later point, the same
> Acct-Session-Id is used with a *different* set of attributes
> "identifying" the session.
>
>   This is confusing.

For what it's worth - the cisco lightweight wireless platform does the
same thing (changes the username) and as you say, it's confusing. IMHO
it's annoying and wrong. It renders the accounting much, much less
useful for the legal purposes one might use it for i.e. identifying mis-use.

I think it's a mistake to conflate the wireless association with an
802.1x session. It also seems clear to me that the passage referenced in
RFC 3580, when it says "status of the session", really ought to include
the username - if that's not part of the status, I don't know what is.