moving from Freeradius 1.1.7 to freeradius 2.1.0

Suraj Sharma sharmasuraj at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 12:07:46 CET 2008

Hi All
I had a radius server setup which authenticated EAP-MD5 and EAP-TLS clients but as we had to support EAP-SIM client as well -We decided on moving to Freeradius-2.1.1.  EAP-SIM worked really well and so did EAP-TLS on the new server-Ijust migrated the old files(USERS, CLIENT.CONF and EAP.CONF) to the new server and added EAP-SIM settings.
Now we discovered that out EAP-MD5 clients were no more authenticated!!! I went through the settings to no avail- then by fluke I discovered(by fluke ofcourse!!) that if I change ...
<foo at com     Auth-Type :=EAP, User-Password := "bar"> to <foo at com     Auth-Type :=EAP, Cleartext-Password := "bar">
in users file -My MD5 client were again authenticated!!!

My question is - is there any reasoning to the above behavior or I have completly misunderstood how Freeradius conf works.
Please suggest.
Suraj