Access-Reject in attempted PAP cleartext setup?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Nov 23 09:54:47 CET 2008

Vincent Fox wrote:
> I am unable to make even a simple PAP cleartext setup
> work and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.  The note
> about it should "just work" well not for me so far.....

  Because you're testing with a user that is in /etc/password.  And the
password you put into the "users" file isn't the same as in /etc/passwd.

> And radiusd -XXX output shows:

  Just a question... why -XXX when all of the documentation, FAQ, etc.
says -X ?

> Sat Nov 22 20:14:19 2008 : Info: ++[unix] returns updated
> Sat Nov 22 20:14:19 2008 : Info: [files] users: Matched entry vf5 at line 93

  There you go.  The "unix" module matches, as does the "files" module.

> Sat Nov 22 20:14:19 2008 : Info: [pap] Using CRYPT encryption.

  That should be a hint, too.  It's using crypt because the passwords in
/etc/passwd are crypt'd.

  Maybe we need to update the PAP module to look for multiple passwords,
compare them to each other, and then complain loudly if they don't match.