HELP: Windows IAS / FreeRADIUS Proxy problem

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Nov 23 17:24:37 CET 2008

clive gould wrote:
> Our ITNS team have just rebuilt the IAS server after it suffered a
> hardware failure failed and since the rebuild it is now rejecting
> FreeRADIUS proxy requests.

  Likely because the IAS configuration changed.

> IAS will still respond to my Moodle PHP
> RADIUS authentication module, but since the rebuild is rejecting
> authentication requests from the FreeRADIUS proxy (yes the new shared
> secret is correct and I'm logging on with the same id to
> both systems :)

  Then use the debugging features on IAS (such as they are) to see why
it's rejecting the user.

> I'm using MSCHAP for authentication with FreeRADIUS.
>
> I am wondering if the problem could be to do with
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786978.aspx#BKMK_5 ?

  Well, there's a whole lot of Q&A at that web site, and I don't care
enough about IAS internals to read it.

  In short, you broke IAS, and now it doesn't work.  There is very
little you can do to FreeRADIUS to fix IAS.