Centos 5.2 How To

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Nov 27 21:48:17 CET 2008

Hi,

> Or what else?  Is just running ./confugure; make; make install (and
> not using RPMs at all) better than taking a Fedora src.rpm to start with?

for some people, yes (though only so long as all the supporting
libraries and dev packages have been installed via RPM first ;-) )

I've gone down the route of using the SPEC file to build the latest
release several times - but in most cases its just GIT repository all
the time

(the main issue with RPMs is they give the idea of stability
and often are ancient....if few users are using the latest
release then certain issues/bugs are never discovered until
some time later - if buggy and RPM then a quick package
update release is painless for the vast majority on packages
- theres no reason why 1.1.x is still the flavour du jour for
distros

alan