Centos 5.2 How To

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Thu Nov 27 22:03:14 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 08:48:17PM +0000, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> I've gone down the route of using the SPEC file to build the latest
> release several times - but in most cases its just GIT repository all
> the time
>
> (the main issue with RPMs is they give the idea of stability
> and often are ancient....if few users are using the latest
> release then certain issues/bugs are never discovered until
> some time later - if buggy and RPM then a quick package
> update release is painless for the vast majority on packages
> - theres no reason why 1.1.x is still the flavour du jour for
> distros

Your comments are valid.  But if I "backport" (as I call it) a Fedora
package to some RHEL release, I also look at the difference with the
old RHEL spec file, I look at open bugs, etc.  Sometimes this takes
some time.  Still, the package will not get the "care" original RHEL
packages get (although some do not have the quality you would expect)
and that's the reason that I try to stick with RHEL packages (and the
older package versions) whenever possible.

For FreeRADIUS, that I needed for an set of RHEL4 packages, I did use
newer packages, as I needed a few things that were just more mature
in recent versions.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>