Class attribute

Alexandre Chapellon alexandre.chapellon at mana.pf
Fri Nov 28 18:49:04 CET 2008

Le 27.11.2008 21:41, Alan DeKok a écrit :
> Alexandre Chapellon wrote:
>
>> I have noticed that the "Class" attribute as defined in rfc2865 is a
>> string value, but looking at dictionary that comes with freeradius i saw
>> that it's an octet value.
>>

>   FreeRADIUS was the first to mark some attributes as "binary" versus
> "ascii".  The original RFC's didn't make that distinction.  When they
> were updated, they chose different names for the types.
>
>   We chose "string" and "octets" to mean "ascii" and "binary".  They
> chose "text" and "string".
>

>> As far as I know none of the rfc updating 2865 redefine the class attribute.
>> Is there a reason for this, is it safe to make it a string value?
>>

>   I very much suggest leaving it alone.  Editing things just to make the
> "closer" to the RFC's is not a good idea.  The RFC's are well known to
> be wrong in many cases.

Well the aim of switching type is not to be closer to rfc, i'm not
fanatic enough :)!
My problem is I need to send a string to the NASes in the Access-Accept
and want them to sent it back to me as is in Accounting packets.
Is there other attributes of type string that allow such a behaviour
from the NASes?