broken home server communication

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Nov 29 08:07:31 CET 2008

Alexandre Chapellon wrote:
> I have a weird problem I am proxying accounting to a home server which
> is an AIX with kind a fault tolerant setup (HACMP).
> In some situations (HACMP in degraded mode) , this home server responds
> to my proxied queries with random source IP address.

  That's fairly broken.

> So freeradius doesn't realise the quey has been received and "replied".
> In addition I have radius listeners  (setup as hom servers) on some
> machines that do not respond the proxied at all (I use to make it work
> with other radius and so i'm sure it's their "normal" behaviour).

  Hmm... servers are *supposed* to respond.

> How Can I prevent freeradius from checking acknoledgement of proxyed
> request and just dumbly sends packets... whatever is the state of the
> home server?

  Separate the two roles.  Have the local server log to a "detail" file
(or more than one).  Then, have it read the detail file && send packets
to the home servers.  Configure it so that if the home servers don't
respond, it still returns "OK".