Freeradius error: "Discarding conflicting packet"

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Oct 5 08:31:29 CEST 2008

Jelle Langbroek wrote:
> I can tell you that with my tests, I figured out that it's happening
> with all sorts of clients (MacOSX, XP, Vista).

  The supplicant's aren't involved here.  It's the NAS that retransmits
the RADIUS packets.

> It appears only to be
> happing with the WAP54G (and now the WRT54GL you say). When I replaced
> the WAP54G with a WAP200, the errors disappeared with the same clients.

  i.e. the WAP54G is broken.  It doesn't do RADIUS properly.

> I tested this on many locations with many different clients and
> everywhere the same results. It must be the WAP54G then.

  Yes.

> I'm still using those AP's and I keep getting the error in the logs.
> It's indeed quite random. The error seems not harmful (although the
> sourcecode of freeRadius says the AP is broken).

  :)  It's a common complaint on this list.  Some issues are FreeRADIUS
bugs.  Others are broken NASes.

  I'm in the process of putting together a RADIUS validation test suite,
so that manufacturers can see if their products are compliant *before*
shipping them.