FreeRADIUS and Novell universal password

Graham Marsh graham at netmarsh.com
Sun Oct 5 17:04:36 CEST 2008

You can't use NDS password because it's a one-way hash and therefore
not reversible. You must use UP with radius because it is reversible.
So, you need to investigate and fix your UP issues. There are tools
that will help such as checking the status of UP on multiple objects,
and even retrieving the UP, check the Novell coolsolutions site.
Basically if you can retrieve the UP with those tools, then radius can
too, if the tools report an error then you may get a better idea where
the problem is.

Note that existing users who only have NDS password need to login with
a current Novell Client in order to set the UP. Or, they need to
undergo a Change Password via some UP-aware mechanism such as LDAP
modify on userpassword.

As this isn't really FR problem, suggest you post in the novell
edirectory or NMAS forums if you require more help.