mschap No Cleartext-Password configured

alois blasbichler alois.blasbichler at sb-brixen.it
Tue Oct 7 11:48:08 CEST 2008

Hello  list

I am trying to authenticate a windows xp client via a Cisco Wireless
Router with radius on Linux and behind there a Openldap-DB.

Users have posix and samba-passworts

I installed raius from source : freeradius-server-2.1.0
I configured only :
clients.conf  (shgared secrets)
/sites-availabel/default (enabled ldap)
/modules/ldap  (addes my ldap-settings)

Is this all  i have to do ?
With radtest all works fine - but my windows-client gives me an error :
---------------------------------
[mschapv2] +- entering group MS-CHAP {...}
[mschap] No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create LM-Password.
[mschap] No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create NT-Password.
[mschap] Told to do MS-CHAPv2 for ablasbichler with NT-Password
[mschap] FAILED: No NT/LM-Password.  Cannot perform authentication.
[mschap] FAILED: MS-CHAP2-Response is incorrect
++[mschap] returns reject
[eap] Freeing handler
++[eap] returns reject
Failed to authenticate the user.
----------------------------------

Somebody can give a a hint?

I have seen in an old mail :
> NT-Password is wrong. Try first with plain text one (Cleartext-Password).
> Then fix hashing.
>
> Ivan Kalik
> Kalik Informatika ISP

How i set plain text passwords ?

i tried to add in users :

ablasbichler Cleartext-Password == "ablasbichler"
With no success

i have a big debug-file if it can help

thank you for a help

luis