[Suspected Spam]Re: Install error

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 8 22:42:57 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 13:28 -0700, Olavo Dietrich wrote:
> Guys,
>
> let me make sure I understood your thoughts.
>
> I cannot use this freeradius-2.1.1-2.fc10 from
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=298 because
> my OS is not fedora , is that right ?

Correct. This one probably wouldn't even work on Fedora 8 or Fedora 9,
it's specific to Fedora 10. The distribution-specific RPM's will have
dependencies on versions of packages that come with that distribution.
Try to use it on a different distro and you will get unsatisfied
dependencies.

> So my only option is to use   freeradius-server-2.1.1.tar.gz  and
> manually try to satisfy the dependencies from those warnings ?

Or find an RPM that is for your distribution.

But if you do compile from source, it will be up to you to find out what
-devel packages you need. The configure/compile/link process will
probably turn up errors that are due to missing header files (.h) or
missing library files (undefined symbols and so forth). Installing the
proper -devel package will normally provide the missing files, but it's
not always obvious which -devel package you need to fix a given error.
Google searches can help here.

--Greg