ldap/krb5 auth and access point Authentication methods ?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Oct 11 08:02:42 CEST 2008

FM wrote:
> I'd like to use freeradius to auth. our users. I read that freeradius
> can use openldap and kerberos, so i suppose I will setup these for auth.

  Maybe.  You are constrained by the limitations of the authentication
protocols.   i.e. FreeRADIUS can do a lot, but only if the
authentication protocols are compatible.

> Most of my Wi-Fi users will be Windows/Mac Os and I'd like to avoid
> custom installation on the laptops.
>
> The question is :
> Which auth method should I use on the access points ?

  Access points don't use authentication methods.  The wireless clients
(supplicants) do.  And most Windows machines only do PEAP.

http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html

  I would suggest using TTLS, which is supported by the Macs.  Use
something like SecureW2 for the Windows machines, to upgrade them to
using TTLS.