Multiple Radius Instances on the same machine

HRZ Konten hrzkonten at uni-bonn.de
Mon Oct 13 10:22:27 CEST 2008

Hello all,

I am interested in running more than one configuration including
different authentification methods and different clients on one machine.
I have Freeradius 1.1.7 in production, but I installed and tested Freeradius 2.0.5 because of the virtual servers.
I want to run three separated radius instances on one radius server, for
example:
1. instance with pam auth for internal clients (means clients list x)
2. instance with eap auth for external clients (means clients list y)
3. instance with pam auth for other external clients (means clients list z)

The issue ist that the configurations of the virtual servers are
separated but if one error occures in one instance configuration, the
whole radius server can't be started. For example when I have a typing error in the config of the virtual server under sites-available like writing "ks pam" instead of "pam" then I can't start the whole server and none of the instances goes up. The problem is that I have many internal and external clients and the configs will be changed often from different people. I don't want that an error in the config for the external clients bothers the instance for internal clients.

Furthermore I want to assign some resources to the different instances like max 5 server processes for instance "2" and max 15 server process for instance "1" and "3". But so far I understood it, this section is not in the config of the virtual servers but for the whole server.

Therefore I have a few questions
- can I run virtual servers without an error in one instance messing the whole server and the rest instances
- is there a possibility to assign unequal resources to the separated
instances like server processes, threads or number of requests. The goal
is to limit the resources for external requests and give more resources
to internal requests.
- is possible to run several radius processes on one machine (not virtual servers) with different logs and configs. And how should I tell radiusd1 to use the configuration radusd1.conf and radiusd2 to use radiusd2.conf?

Best regards,
Irina