dynamic dns in radius?

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Oct 16 02:51:45 CEST 2008

Hi all.

We have a very broken NAS - it basically only half-understands realms.
If I log in with "john at ream", it will send "john at realm" off to the
RADIUS server, which authenticates just fine, but the NAS will then try
to register "johnrealm" via dynamic DNS.

So this is not a RADIUS issue, it's an issue with how this NAS handles
dynamic DNS updates.

There is no way to make the NAS behave differently, though enhancement
requests and bug reports have been lodged in hopes of better behaviour
in a future release of the NAS OS. So I was wondering whether there is
any practical way to get the RADIUS server to do the dynamic DNS
instead.

I found this from 2002:

http://marc.info/?l=freeradius-users&m=106947389429225&w=2

And this thread from 2004:

http://lists.cistron.nl/pipermail/freeradius-devel/2004-July/007357.html

... but I see no mention of a DDNS module in the current distribution,
nor in the docs (though I admit I may well have missed it, there are a
lot of docs).

Is there such a module? Or has anyone already implemented DDNS from
within FreeRADIUS, perhaps by writing an executable script such as
suggested by Alan in 2002?

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: DD23 0DF3 2260 3060 7FEC 5CA8 1AF6 D9E3 CFEE 6B28