dynamic dns in radius?

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Oct 16 12:03:00 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 07:57 +0200, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Karl Auer wrote:
> > We have a very broken NAS - it basically only half-understands realms.
>   DHCP does DDNS.  RADIUS doesn't.

NASes may..

>   Why the heck would the NAS be doing DDNS updates?  In what alternate
> reality is this useful?

Here's the full scoop then: This "NAS" is a tunnel broker. When you
bring up a tunnel, you get an endpoint allocated to you. The tunnel
broker then registers that address against your name in an appropriate
domain. If you are "fred", it will register "fred.domain" for you, with
an forward record mapping the name to the allocated address. It also
registers the allocated address in the appropriate reverse zone, with a
reverse record mapping the address to the name.

> > any practical way to get the RADIUS server to do the dynamic DNS
> > instead.
>
>   I'm not sure what you mean by that... having the RADIUS server *also*
> do DDNS wouldn't seem to help.

I can turn the DDNS updates from the NAS *off*, I just can't fix them so
they are *right*.

So I'm thinking turn off the broken functionality in the NAS, and let
the RADIUS server do the updates. It has all the information it needs
except the nameserver to talk to, which could be configured into this
hypothetical module or script.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: DD23 0DF3 2260 3060 7FEC 5CA8 1AF6 D9E3 CFEE 6B28