EAP bypass

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Mon Oct 20 17:18:50 CEST 2008

Hi,

> The supplicant will barf, and yet, the machine will not ignore the wide open network port.

That would be supplicant-dependent, right? For example the Intel
supplicant which I tried some time ago had a very solid opinion about
what was going on and I couldn't use the net "just like that". OTOH,
there is this peculiarity in the IEEE 802.1X standard itself that
basically says the supplicant tries three times to authenticate with
EAP-Identity, and after that shall "assume that the port is open". Maybe
that's what happens.

Anyway, it is a *very* bad idea to rely on such behaviour. I suggest a
bucket of cold water into the face of the guy's management. An
authentication server is used to authenticate users, not to
non-authenticate users.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--