Need some help with Access-Reject messages in upgrade from FreeRadius 1.1.0 to FreeRadius 2.0.5

Adam Bultman abultman at mtasolutions.com
Tue Oct 21 22:03:51 CEST 2008

Good morning, everybody.  I am working on an upgrade for our FreeRadius
servers, which are currently at 1.1.0.    I have configured a test
Radius server, which is running FreeRadius 2.0.5.  These are both
Solaris 10 systems running SPARC, and our backend is LDAP.

With FreeRadius 1.1.0, when a user is rejected, the rejection message
looks like this on the client side:

rad_recv: Access-Reject packet from host x.x.x.x:1645, id=251, length=49
    Reply-Message = "Please, call the help desk."

No matter what the user, if the user has a static IP, or any other
information in his user profile, etc, that's all it has - the reject
message.

With FreeRadius 2.0.5, when a user is rejected, the rejection message
has more information in it:

rad_recv: Access-Reject packet from host x.x.x.x:1645, id=74, length=32
    Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.255
    Framed-IP-Address = x.x.x.x

Admittedly, the configuration file for the 2.0.5 server is a mixture of
1.1.0 config style, and 2.0.5 config style, leaning more towards the
1.1.0 style, so it could simply be a result of old style getting in the
way of the new, but I have gone through both configs, and I can't find
out where my access-reject message in my users file is being either
a)overwritten, or b) ignored outright.

I've gone through the docs, and the wiki, but haven't found out what I'm
missing. I'm running RADIUS 2.0.5 in  debug mode (-XXX), but haven't
found anything pointing out what I'm doing wrong.    I can comment out
the entries in ldap.attrmap, but that also means they don't get sent
when the authentication succeeds.

Here's the last line of my users file, below all other local users, and
default entries:

DEFAULT Auth-Type := Reject
        Reply-Message = "Please, call the help desk."

If anybody can help, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to keep looking, but I
think I'm just running up against a wall.

Adam