undefined symbol: eaptls_session_idx

Pat Riehecky prieheck at iwu.edu
Fri Oct 24 16:37:49 CEST 2008

I built my own version of freeradius from the ubuntu package for 8.10.
The ubuntu version stamp on it is 2.1.0+dfsg-0ubuntu2 so I expect it is
freeradius 2.1.0 (and the source confirms this).

I modified the package scripts so that I can link the program to openssl
and get the eap modules.  The program built without a hitch so I was a
bit shocked to find that I get a linking error when I start the server.

What can I do to fix this?  Ubuntu 8.04, x86

My guess is recompile, but without knowing what I did wrong I will just
get a bad build again and again and again.

<snip>
 Module: Linked to module rlm_eap
 Module: Instantiating eap
  eap {
	default_eap_type = "md5"
	timer_expire = 60
	ignore_unknown_eap_types = no
	cisco_accounting_username_bug = no
	max_sessions = 2048
  }
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_md5
 Module: Instantiating eap-md5
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_leap
 Module: Instantiating eap-leap
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_gtc
 Module: Instantiating eap-gtc
   gtc {
	challenge = "Password: "
	auth_type = "PAP"
   }
rlm_eap: Failed to link
EAP-Type/tls: /usr/lib/freeradius/rlm_eap_tls.so: undefined symbol:
eaptls_session_idx
/etc/freeradius/eap.conf[17]: Instantiation failed for module "eap"
/etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/inner-tunnel-ldap[223]: Failed to find
module "eap".
/etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/inner-tunnel-ldap[176]: Errors parsing
authenticate section.
Errors initializing modules