Simultaneous-Use check not working

tnt at kalik.net tnt at kalik.net
Mon Oct 27 19:02:34 CET 2008

>I check for a login using radwho and I
>see I have a session, I then attempt both a new auth and start
>accounting again and still radwho shows only one login.

The fact that you have user listed in radwho doesn't mean that he is
connected to the NAS as well. checkrad script will delete stale entries
and allow connection if it "finds out" that there is no such session
on the NAS.

To check if Simultaneous use works from accounting data only:

- change nastype to other in clients.conf
- check if radius "thinks that user is online by running
simul_count_query by hand
- send Access-Request

It should fail. But checkrad script is old and there might be issues with
some nastypes (for instance Cisco OID might need to be changed for some
equipment). You might need to fix it for your particular NAS.

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP