users file auth failing

Anthony Chavez acc at hexadecagram.org
Tue Oct 28 01:41:18 CET 2008

tnt at kalik.net wrote:
>> I would like to add a very simple user with only a Cleartext-Password to
>> the users file (this is strictly a FreeRADIUS user and in the interest
>> of security shouldn't be in LDAP).  I would like both the users file and
>> LDAP to be queried for users, with a query falling through to the next
>> source if a particular user is not found.  In other words, I would like
>> to be able to use *both* a users file *and* LDAP for auth.
>>
>> I've added the following at the top of the users file, which has not
>> been modified otherwise from the sample that ships with 2.0.3.
>>
>> someuser	Cleartext-Password := "somepassword"
>>

> Post the debug (radiusd -X).
>
> Ivan Kalik
> Kalik Informatika ISP

Here it is.

After looking at the log myself, I thought that perhaps setting
access_attr="NULL" in radiusd.conf might do the trick, so I tried it
without success.

Note that the following log is what was produced before setting
access_attr="NULL".  I have not installed a RADIUS schema into my LDAP
DIT yet, so I've been using access_attr="uid".

Script started on Mon Oct 27 18:16:13 2008
FreeRADIUS Version 2.0.3, for host i386-portbld-freebsd7.0, built on Jun
16 2008 at 16:15:34
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 The FreeRADIUS server project and contributors.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
You may redistribute copies of FreeRADIUS under the terms of the
GNU General Public License.
Starting - reading configuration files ...
including configuration file /usr/local/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf
including configuration file /usr/local/etc/raddb/proxy.conf
including configuration file /usr/local/etc/raddb/clients.conf
including configuration file /usr/local/etc/raddb/snmp.conf
including configuration file /usr/local/etc/raddb/eap.conf
including configuration file /usr/local/etc/raddb/sql.conf
including configuration file /usr/local/etc/raddb/sql/mysql/dialup.conf
including configuration file /usr/local/etc/raddb/sql/mysql/counter.conf
including configuration file /usr/local/etc/raddb/policy.conf
including files in directory /usr/local/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/
including configuration file /usr/local/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/default
including configuration file
/usr/local/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/inner-tunnel
including dictionary file /usr/local/etc/raddb/dictionary
main {
	prefix = "/usr/local"
	localstatedir = "/var"
	logdir = "/var/log"
	libdir = "/usr/local/lib"
	radacctdir = "/var/log/radacct"
	hostname_lookups = no
	max_request_time = 30
	cleanup_delay = 5
	max_requests = 1024
	allow_core_dumps = no
	pidfile = "/var/run/radiusd/radiusd.pid"
	user = "freeradius"
	group = "freeradius"
	checkrad = "/usr/local/sbin/checkrad"
	debug_level = 0
	proxy_requests = yes
 security {
	max_attributes = 200
	reject_delay = 1
	status_server = yes
 client localhost {
	ipaddr = 127.0.0.1
	require_message_authenticator = no
	secret = "secret"
	nastype = "other"
 }
 client 192.168.0.132 {
	require_message_authenticator = no
	secret = "secret"
	shortname = "someap1"
 }
 client 192.168.0.133 {
	require_message_authenticator = no
	secret = "secret"
	shortname = "someap2"
 }
radiusd: #### Loading Realms and Home Servers ####
 proxy server {
	retry_delay = 5
	retry_count = 3
	default_fallback = no
	dead_time = 120
	wake_all_if_all_dead = no
 }
 home_server localhost {
	ipaddr = 127.0.0.1
	port = 1812
	type = "auth"
	secret = "secret"
	response_window = 20
	max_outstanding = 65536
	zombie_period = 40
	status_check = "status-server"
	ping_check = "none"
	ping_interval = 30
	check_interval = 30
	num_answers_to_alive = 3
	num_pings_to_alive = 3
	revive_interval = 120
	status_check_timeout = 4
 }
 home_server_pool my_auth_failover {
	type = fail-over
	home_server = localhost
 }
 realm example.com {
	auth_pool = my_auth_failover
 }
 realm LOCAL {
 }
radiusd: #### Instantiating modules ####
 instantiate {
 Module: Linked to module rlm_exec
 Module: Instantiating exec
  exec {
	wait = yes
	input_pairs = "request"
	shell_escape = yes
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_expr
 Module: Instantiating expr
 Module: Linked to module rlm_expiration
 Module: Instantiating expiration
  expiration {
	reply-message = "Password Has Expired  "
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_logintime
 Module: Instantiating logintime
  logintime {
	reply-message = "You are calling outside your allowed timespan  "
	minimum-timeout = 60
radiusd: #### Loading Virtual Servers ####
server inner-tunnel {
 modules {
 Module: Checking authenticate {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_pap
 Module: Instantiating pap
  pap {
	encryption_scheme = "auto"
	auto_header = no
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_chap
 Module: Instantiating chap
 Module: Linked to module rlm_mschap
 Module: Instantiating mschap
  mschap {
	use_mppe = yes
	require_encryption = yes
	require_strong = yes
	with_ntdomain_hack = yes
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_unix
 Module: Instantiating unix
  unix {
	radwtmp = "/var/log/radwtmp"
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_eap
 Module: Instantiating eap
  eap {
	default_eap_type = "peap"
	timer_expire = 60
	ignore_unknown_eap_types = no
	cisco_accounting_username_bug = no
  }
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_md5
 Module: Instantiating eap-md5
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_leap
 Module: Instantiating eap-leap
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_gtc
 Module: Instantiating eap-gtc
   gtc {
	challenge = "Password: "
	auth_type = "PAP"
   }
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_tls
 Module: Instantiating eap-tls
   tls {
	rsa_key_exchange = no
	dh_key_exchange = yes
	rsa_key_length = 512
	dh_key_length = 512
	verify_depth = 0
	pem_file_type = yes
	private_key_file = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/server.pem"
	certificate_file = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/server.pem"
	CA_file = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/ca.pem"
	private_key_password = "secret"
	dh_file = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/dh"
	random_file = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/random"
	fragment_size = 1024
	include_length = yes
	check_crl = no
	cipher_list = "DEFAULT"
	make_cert_command = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/bootstrap"
   }
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_ttls
 Module: Instantiating eap-ttls
   ttls {
	default_eap_type = "mschapv2"
	copy_request_to_tunnel = no
	use_tunneled_reply = no
	virtual_server = "inner-tunnel"
   }
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_peap
 Module: Instantiating eap-peap
   peap {
	default_eap_type = "mschapv2"
	copy_request_to_tunnel = no
	use_tunneled_reply = no
	proxy_tunneled_request_as_eap = yes
	virtual_server = "inner-tunnel"
   }
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_mschapv2
 Module: Instantiating eap-mschapv2
   mschapv2 {
	with_ntdomain_hack = no
   }
 Module: Checking authorize {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_realm
 Module: Instantiating suffix
  realm suffix {
	format = "suffix"
	delimiter = "@"
	ignore_default = no
	ignore_null = no
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_files
 Module: Instantiating files
  files {
	usersfile = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/users"
	acctusersfile = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/acct_users"
	preproxy_usersfile = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/preproxy_users"
	compat = "no"
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_ldap
 Module: Instantiating ldap
  ldap {
	server = "directory.somedomain"
	port = 389
	password = "secret"
	identity = "cn=Manager,dc=somedomain"
	net_timeout = 1
	timeout = 4
	timelimit = 3
	tls_mode = no
	start_tls = no
	tls_require_cert = "allow"
   tls {
	start_tls = no
	require_cert = "allow"
   }
	basedn = "ou=People,ou=Users,dc=somedomain"
	filter = "(uid=%{Stripped-User-Name:-%{User-Name}})"
	base_filter = "(objectclass=posixAccount)"
	auto_header = no
	access_attr = "uid"
	access_attr_used_for_allow = yes
	groupname_attribute = "cn"
	groupmembership_filter =
"(|(&(objectClass=GroupOfNames)(member=%{Ldap-UserDn}))(&(objectClass=GroupOfUniqueNames)(uniquemember=%{Ldap-UserDn})))"

	dictionary_mapping = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/ldap.attrmap"
	ldap_debug = 0
	ldap_connections_number = 5
	compare_check_items = no
	do_xlat = yes
	set_auth_type = yes
  }
rlm_ldap: Registering ldap_groupcmp for Ldap-Group
rlm_ldap: Registering ldap_xlat with xlat_name ldap
rlm_ldap: Over-riding set_auth_type, as there is no module ldap listed
in the "authenticate" section.
rlm_ldap: reading ldap<->radius mappings from file
/usr/local/etc/raddb/ldap.attrmap
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCheckItem mapped to RADIUS $GENERIC$
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusReplyItem mapped to RADIUS $GENERIC$
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusAuthType mapped to RADIUS Auth-Type
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusSimultaneousUse mapped to RADIUS Simultaneous-Use
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCalledStationId mapped to RADIUS Called-Station-Id
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCallingStationId mapped to RADIUS Calling-Station-Id
rlm_ldap: LDAP lmPassword mapped to RADIUS LM-Password
rlm_ldap: LDAP ntPassword mapped to RADIUS NT-Password
rlm_ldap: LDAP sambaLmPassword mapped to RADIUS LM-Password
rlm_ldap: LDAP sambaNtPassword mapped to RADIUS NT-Password
rlm_ldap: LDAP acctFlags mapped to RADIUS SMB-Account-CTRL-TEXT
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusExpiration mapped to RADIUS Expiration
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusNASIpAddress mapped to RADIUS NAS-IP-Address
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusServiceType mapped to RADIUS Service-Type
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedProtocol mapped to RADIUS Framed-Protocol
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedIPAddress mapped to RADIUS Framed-IP-Address
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedIPNetmask mapped to RADIUS Framed-IP-Netmask
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedRoute mapped to RADIUS Framed-Route
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedRouting mapped to RADIUS Framed-Routing
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFilterId mapped to RADIUS Filter-Id
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedMTU mapped to RADIUS Framed-MTU
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedCompression mapped to RADIUS Framed-Compression
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginIPHost mapped to RADIUS Login-IP-Host
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginService mapped to RADIUS Login-Service
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginTCPPort mapped to RADIUS Login-TCP-Port
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCallbackNumber mapped to RADIUS Callback-Number
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCallbackId mapped to RADIUS Callback-Id
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedIPXNetwork mapped to RADIUS Framed-IPX-Network
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusClass mapped to RADIUS Class
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusSessionTimeout mapped to RADIUS Session-Timeout
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusIdleTimeout mapped to RADIUS Idle-Timeout
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusTerminationAction mapped to RADIUS Termination-Action
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginLATService mapped to RADIUS Login-LAT-Service
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginLATNode mapped to RADIUS Login-LAT-Node
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginLATGroup mapped to RADIUS Login-LAT-Group
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedAppleTalkLink mapped to RADIUS
Framed-AppleTalk-Link
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedAppleTalkNetwork mapped to RADIUS
Framed-AppleTalk-Network
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedAppleTalkZone mapped to RADIUS
Framed-AppleTalk-Zone
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusPortLimit mapped to RADIUS Port-Limit
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginLATPort mapped to RADIUS Login-LAT-Port
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusReplyMessage mapped to RADIUS Reply-Message
conns: 0x2843d7e0
 Module: Checking session {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_radutmp
 Module: Instantiating radutmp
  radutmp {
	filename = "/var/log/radutmp"
	username = "%{User-Name}"
	case_sensitive = yes
	check_with_nas = yes
	perm = 384
	callerid = yes
  }
 Module: Checking post-proxy {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Checking post-auth {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_attr_filter
 Module: Instantiating attr_filter.access_reject
  attr_filter attr_filter.access_reject {
	attrsfile = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/attrs.access_reject"
	key = "%{User-Name}"
server {
 modules {
 Module: Checking authenticate {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Checking authorize {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_preprocess
 Module: Instantiating preprocess
  preprocess {
	huntgroups = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/huntgroups"
	hints = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/hints"
	with_ascend_hack = no
	ascend_channels_per_line = 23
	with_ntdomain_hack = no
	with_specialix_jetstream_hack = no
	with_cisco_vsa_hack = no
	with_alvarion_vsa_hack = no
  }
 Module: Checking preacct {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_acct_unique
 Module: Instantiating acct_unique
  acct_unique {
	key = "User-Name, Acct-Session-Id, NAS-IP-Address, Client-IP-Address,
NAS-Port"
  }
 Module: Checking accounting {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_detail
 Module: Instantiating detail
  detail {
	detailfile = "/var/log/radacct/%{Client-IP-Address}/detail-%Y%m%d"
	header = "%t"
	detailperm = 384
	dirperm = 493
	locking = no
	log_packet_header = no
  }
 Module: Instantiating attr_filter.accounting_response
  attr_filter attr_filter.accounting_response {
	attrsfile = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/attrs.accounting_response"
	key = "%{User-Name}"
  }
 Module: Checking session {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Checking post-proxy {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Checking post-auth {...} for more modules to load
radiusd: #### Opening IP addresses and Ports ####
listen {
	type = "auth"
	ipaddr = 192.168.0.18
	port = 0
}
listen {
	type = "acct"
	ipaddr = *
	port = 0
}
Listening on authentication address 192.168.0.18 port 1812
Listening on accounting address * port 1813
Listening on proxy address 192.168.0.18 port 1814
Ready to process requests.
	Message-Authenticator = 0x85d159310ab2060a1fbc5c51c4582d62
	Service-Type = Framed-User
	User-Name = "someuser\000"
	Framed-MTU = 1488
	Called-Station-Id = "somemac1:somessid"
	Calling-Station-Id = "somemac2"
	NAS-Identifier = "AP11G"
	NAS-Port-Type = Wireless-802.11
	Connect-Info = "CONNECT 54Mbps 802.11g"
	EAP-Message = 0x0200000b01726164697573
	NAS-IP-Address = 192.168.0.133
	NAS-Port = 6
	NAS-Port-Id = "STA port # 6"
+- entering group authorize
++[preprocess] returns ok
++[chap] returns noop
++[mschap] returns noop
    rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "someuser", looking up realm NULL
    rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
++[suffix] returns noop
  rlm_eap: EAP packet type response id 0 length 11
  rlm_eap: No EAP Start, assuming it's an on-going EAP conversation
++[eap] returns updated
    users: Matched entry someuser at line 50
++[files] returns ok
rlm_ldap: - authorize
rlm_ldap: performing user authorization for someuser
WARNING: Deprecated conditional expansion ":-".  See "man unlang" for
details
	expand: (uid=%{Stripped-User-Name:-%{User-Name}}) -> (uid=someuser)
	expand: ou=People,ou=Users,dc=somedomain ->
ou=People,ou=Users,dc=somedomain
rlm_ldap: ldap_get_conn: Checking Id: 0
rlm_ldap: ldap_get_conn: Got Id: 0
rlm_ldap: attempting LDAP reconnection
rlm_ldap: (re)connect to directory.somedomain:389, authentication 0
rlm_ldap: bind as cn=Manager,dc=somedomain/secret to
directory.somedomain:389
rlm_ldap: waiting for bind result ...
rlm_ldap: Bind was successful
rlm_ldap: performing search in ou=People,ou=Users,dc=somedomain, with
filter (uid=someuser)
rlm_ldap: object not found or got ambiguous search result
rlm_ldap: search failed
rlm_ldap: ldap_release_conn: Release Id: 0
++[ldap] returns notfound
++[expiration] returns noop
++[logintime] returns noop
rlm_pap: Found existing Auth-Type, not changing it.
++[pap] returns noop
  rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type EAP
auth: type "EAP"
+- entering group authenticate
  rlm_eap: EAP Identity
  rlm_eap: processing type tls
  rlm_eap_tls: Initiate
  rlm_eap_tls: Start returned 1
++[eap] returns handled
	EAP-Message = 0x010100061920
	Message-Authenticator = 0x00000000000000000000000000000000
	State = 0x8db73d858db62474893e60a208ccf56d
Finished request 0.
Going to the next request
Waking up in 4.9 seconds.
	Message-Authenticator = 0xca4a6436f9937c0df93b6885b18e0fa5
	Service-Type = Framed-User
	User-Name = "someuser\000"
	Framed-MTU = 1488
	State = 0x8db73d858db62474893e60a208ccf56d
	Called-Station-Id = "somemac1:somessid"
	Calling-Station-Id = "somemac2"
	NAS-Identifier = "AP11G"
	NAS-Port-Type = Wireless-802.11
	Connect-Info = "CONNECT 54Mbps 802.11g"
	EAP-Message = 0x020100060300
	NAS-IP-Address = 192.168.0.133
	NAS-Port = 6
	NAS-Port-Id = "STA port # 6"
+- entering group authorize
++[preprocess] returns ok
++[chap] returns noop
++[mschap] returns noop
    rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "someuser", looking up realm NULL
    rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
++[suffix] returns noop
  rlm_eap: EAP packet type response id 1 length 6
[...]
  rlm_eap: Request found, released from the list
  rlm_eap: EAP NAK
 rlm_eap: NAK asked for bad type 0
  rlm_eap: Failed in EAP select
++[eap] returns invalid
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Login incorrect (rlm_ldap: User not found): [someuser\000/<via Auth-Type
= EAP>] (from client someap2 port 6 cli somemac2)
  Found Post-Auth-Type Reject
+- entering group REJECT
	expand: %{User-Name} -> someuser
 attr_filter: Matched entry DEFAULT at line 11
++[attr_filter.access_reject] returns updated
Delaying reject of request 1 for 1 seconds
Going to the next request
Waking up in 0.9 seconds.
Sending delayed reject for request 1
	EAP-Message = 0x04010004
	Message-Authenticator = 0x00000000000000000000000000000000
Waking up in 3.9 seconds.
Cleaning up request 0 ID 0 with timestamp +27
Waking up in 1.0 seconds.
Cleaning up request 1 ID 1 with timestamp +27
Ready to process requests.
^C
Script done on Mon Oct 27 18:16:50 2008

--