VMPS - Initial project ideas

Hairy51 hairy51 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 31 13:44:02 CET 2008

Hi all,

I am just about to start a project to remove the VMPS system from an aging
catalyst switch and i would like to investigate the possibilty of using
FreeRadius for this.

We currently have about 1500 hosts that rely on VMPS for dynamic assignment
and an ideal solution would be to move the VMPS service onto a server (Or
multiple servers) with as little interuptions to users as possible.

Also, for simplicities sake it would be great if we could re-use the current
Static VMPS file that the catalyst switch uses.

I have looked into FreeNAC as a solution, but want to investigate other ways
of acheiving this. We do not really need to do anything other than assign
(or block) VLANs, so the extra functionality of FreeNAC is not needed at
this point.

Considering i am coming from a limited Linux background, how hard would it
be for me to acheive this using FreeRADIUS? Does it sound feasible? I am
really looking for a bit of advice from those with experience of the
FreeRADIUS application and who know of the potential pit-falls and
complications that we may face!

Many thanks - any comments or idea's much appreciated...

Cheers

Jonathan