EAP-TTLS in WinXP

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Sep 1 21:29:40 CEST 2008

Hi,

> I've seen that Windows XP does not support EAP-TTLS out of the box. I
> know there is at least one package (from SecureW2) that adds this to
> windows.
>
> Could somebody suggest me which other packages do the same? Or should I
> use the one from SecureW2?

open1x.sf.net, Funk Odyssey, Cisco Supplicant (was Aegis Meetinghouse)

> We intend to implement 802.1x Campus wide (or at least analyze it's
> viability), but due to our policies we don't want open passwords in our
> database, so PEAP (which uses MS-CHAP, as far as I did understand), is
> not a viable option, despite being the only option native to WinXP.

errm, PEAP uses MSCHAPv2 which never passes the password - its a
challenge response method - and the password, depending on which
resource you use, doesnt need to be cleartext either. The other
option native to WinXP for 802.1X is EAP-TLS

alan