GnuTLS support?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Sep 2 16:45:49 CEST 2008

Greg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are there still plans to add in GnuTLS support for freeradius, or have
> those died?  I looked through the mail archives and found references
> to people wanting to do it in 2003 and 2006, against pre-2.0 code, and
> wondered if things had changed (either in freeradius or gnutls) to
> make it more or less likely.
>
> I'm a Debian user caught by their licensing trap, and I hateses
> compiling and revisioning one-off packages for something so simple.

This may or may not be relevant or helpful to you, but Red Hat and the
Fedora project has slowly been migrating packages from OpenSSL to NSS
(http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss). This is motivated by
the fact NSS is FIPS-140 certified which is often a requirement in
government and enterprise deployments, more conducive licensing, and a
desire to consolidate crypto libraries for purely practical software
management reasons. FreeRADIUS has been identified as a candidate for
porting to NSS and is on the to-do list. When that porting work is
completed you will have an alternative to OpenSSL. Please note this work
has not yet begun and there is no target date yet, but volunteers to
help would be greatly appreciated and of course would surely speed up
the process :-)

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>