another 2.1.0 compile error

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Tue Sep 9 23:36:39 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 15:17 -0400, John Dennis wrote:

> I'm inclined to think for those people who wish to build from upstream
> they are better off using the autotools configure script included in
> the freeradius source distribution and not use rpm mechanisms

Yes, but there are still packages that are part of the system that are
needed to build freeradius (or any other application). In this case,
since the freeradius packages that come with CentOS (and RHEL) are for a
very old version, and I'm doing this because I really want a feature
that is available only in the latest version (even Fedora 9 doesn't have
it yet), I build from freeradius source. But that doesn't mean I want
(or need) to build all the libraries that freeradius uses from source,
since the ones that come with the system are perfectly adequate for
that. It's just that as soon as you want to build something from source,
now you need the -devel packages that might not have been installed at
system install time. That's fine, I'm used to installing -devel packages
the first time I want to compile something from source. I just ran into
two issues: the first one was the thing with the wildcards happening to
match directory names in the freeradius source tree, so that "yum"
didn't find the packages. So my usual technique of running "yum list
libtool*" didn't list the devel packages because the wildcard matched
the "libtool" directory. So I couldn't figure out which -devel package I
needed. Quoting the wildcard or executing the command in a different
directory solves that. The second problem is that there are packages for
both i386 and x86_64 that are both available when running on an x86_64,
and the freeradius build craps out if it tries to link against the i386
version (invalid symbol format), so I actually had to remove the
-devel.i386 packages before the build could happen.

While this was on CentOS, I expect the same things could bite somebody
using RHEL (or any x86_64 system with yum).

--Greg