2 questions about the python module

Jester jpurtteman at columbus.rr.com
Thu Sep 11 17:44:40 CEST 2008

I have one question and one problem with the python module.  I'll toss out
the problem question first, and the curiosity second.

Problem:  When I run freeradius in debugging mode (-X switch) it will not
terminate with a ctrl-C, in fact, when I run it as a service, the init.d
script fails to kill it as well, it has to be manually slaughtered using
kill -9 <number> and only then can be restarted.  I am curious if this is
some aspect of trying to tie python into radius, or if I've done something
terribly wrong ;)

My curiosity is, as a workaround to other problems I had with the python
modules, I finally just wrote python scripts and put them into the
freeradius library, and I call them using the 'exec' module instead, and
that works pretty good.  Is there some benefit to running python as a module
instead of using the exec module?  As I said, adding in python makes the
daemon hard to manage in an automated sort of way (I can bash script
together a better kill, but I fear some underlying issue) so the exec
solution has worked well for me, I just want to make sure im not hobbling my
system in some terrible way doing this.

Thanks for any comments!

--Jester