ip address manipulation

slanckma sven.lanckmans at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 17:54:25 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm wondering what would be the best method do to math on IP addresses. I
want to build my returned ip address based on the username and the NAS IP
address.
The NAS IP is simply a mapping from the source ip to a number Z
The layout of the username is: userX at Y.com

The resulting IP address would then be 2Z.Y.X (where X is converted from a
number to the last two subnets of the ip address)
For example
NAS IP: 10.10.10.10 -> maps to 3 (there's only four NAS'ses so a simply
array or list will suffice)
USERNAME: user500 at 4.com

Resulting IP address : 23.4.2.244  ("2.244" being the 500th ip address if we
start at counting "1.1")

Do I need to use an external script for this? What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Sven.