ippool management and cluster

Alexandre Chapellon alexandre.chapellon at mana.pf
Thu Sep 25 21:09:43 CEST 2008

Alan DeKok a écrit :
> Alexandre Chapellon wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to use the same sqlippool database for different
>> freeradius servers that belong to a "cluster?
>>

>   Yes.  Just create an SQL cluster, and point the servers at the cluster.
>

>> Is there drawback, doing this?
>>

>   It will be slower, and database replication may not happen quickly.
>

>> Is there any chance to acheive consistante ip allocation in a cluster of
>> several freeradius using non sql ippool module?
>>

>   The servers will have to communicate with each other before handing
> out IP addresses.

Is it a featured in freeradius?
How does it work?

>   Or, split up the IP pool ranges so that each server has their "own"
> range that they prefer.  i.e. server 1 allocates from pool 1, and then
> pool 2 if pool 1 is full.  Server 2 allocates from pool 2, and then pool
> 1 if pool 2 is full.

I thought about it but not managing a huge number of ippool (for
different type of users, differents huntgroups, and differents radius
servers) would be a great advantage of freeradius among other radius
server (I am comapring it with juniper SBR at the moment).