rlm_perl behavior

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Apr 3 07:54:21 CEST 2009

Apostolos Pantsiopoulos wrote:
> I noticed that the following directives :
> for perl were not present in the file after the compiling.
>
> Are these directives obsolete?

  Yes.  The server already has a thread management system.  Adding
another one for Perl is unnecessary.

> Also, in my perl script I make use of the CLONE function
> that according to the wiki is the ideal place to initialize
> database handlers. This seemed to work fine for the last 2 years
> with 1.x and 2.0.x freeradius. Using the parameters above
> and the CLONE function I could see 10 connections to my
> mysql server from the moment radiusd was up.

  Yes.

> Was the behavior of rlm_perl altered in any way? I want to have multiple
> instances of rlm_perl so that I can connect to different databases
> simultaneously and spread the load.

  The perl module no longer manages its own thread pool.  This
simplifies the code, and lowers overall memory use.

  You should be able to open multiple DB sockets in one perl
interpreter, and use them.  Or, the module could be updated to have one
perl interpreter per child thread.