need help & advice getting started with freeradius

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Sat Apr 4 22:24:20 CEST 2009

daniel knox <mail at dknox.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello everyone, this is my first time getting started with freeradius.
>
> I implement ICT at a local school and I would like to improve our wireless
> from a WPA pre-share key to a radius based system. We have an openldap
> server already with all our users and groups and use them to authticate them
> into our clients. I would like to extend this username and password
> requirement to our wireless systems rather than having to give out our
> wireless key. Our wireless users have a variety of Windows, OSX and Linux
> machines.
> Free-radius therefore seems to be the idea solution to this.

Because of your 'location' you might be interested in familiarising
yourself with 'eduroam' (you probably already are as Portsmouth
university has implemented it):

http://www.ja.net/services/authentication-and-authorisation/janet-roaming.html

It's not quite something for the school level (I'm guessing this is your
primary school project?) but it's something that is pretty prevalent in
the university world and being pushed for the further education world.

You can see Arran blowing his trumpet (I tease, it's actually good
stuff) with his step-by-step guide too:

http://www.ja.net/documents/services/janet-roaming/sussex-freeradius-case-study.pdf

If you need any assistance on this, best take it off list as it starts
going off topic for FreeRADIUS.

Although 'eduroam' might not be available to the local school for
whatever reasons, all the documentation relating to deploying FreeRADIUS
for 'eduroam' is exactly what you are looking for.

Cheers

[1] as far as I am aware, I'm sure Mark O'Leary will correct me here if
	need be

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: "But this one goes to eleven."