Multiple sessions with same session_id

Clare Scally clare.scally at eircom.net
Tue Apr 7 16:04:20 CEST 2009

Hi,

We are currently moving from Cistron Radius on Freebsd 6.2 to Freeradius
2.0.5 on Freebsd 6.2.

We have 2 freeradius servers and 1 Cistron server on our live network.

On our Dial up system, on Cistron records 1 Start/ 1 Stop per
Acct-Session-ID sent from a NAS.

On Freeradius 2.0.5 it seems that the same session can have multiple Starts
and Stops against one Acct-Session-ID.

Is this normal behaviour and should these multiple tickets with the same
session be recorded as 1 session?

We have both running con currently and are seeing the multiplte Starts/Stops
only on the Freeradius setup.  There have been no configuration changes to
the NAS to create the extra tickets.

I have looked for documentation on this but cannot find any answers so if
anyone can point me to documentation or confirm or deny that this is normal
in Freeradius.

Thanks,

Clare Scally,

Eircom,