Is my switch really communicating .1x with Freeradius?

john lists.john at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 22:44:26 CEST 2009

Hello all,

I am struggling to get a windowsXP client to authenticate to
freeradius. I've set up winbind/samba and radtest works from the
command line on the freeradius server.

However the client doesn't seem to be able to contact the server when
attached to a switch which supports .1x. During testing with wireshark
I noticed that my switch (a 3com 3226) is sending EAP failure messages
debug output of the freeradius server when I run it with
/usr/sbin/freeradius -X

It seems to me that my 3Com switch isn't really communicating with the
freeradius server. Can someone help me figure out how to make sure
that my NAS is talking to the server?

Thanks!

John