no entries in radacct

John Millican jmillican at sentinelcommunications.com
Mon Apr 13 13:13:20 CEST 2009

Complete Newb to FreeRadius here.
I have:
radiusd -v
radiusd: FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.5, for host x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu,
built on Apr  1 2009 at 15:51:57  built from freeradius-server-2.1.4.tar.gz
on an OpenSuSE 10.X server using postgresql 8.3.3
Authorize works well, all my NAS info is in the NAS table, and I have
dial up clients using now on a very limited basis.  My problem is that I
can not get the accounting to work in postgres, my radacct table is
empty.  Everything I have read has said to put sql in the accounting
section and I have done this.  I also uncommented the section:
$INCLUDE sql/${database}/dialup.conf

At the end of the log file I have this:
radiusd: #### Instantiating modules ####
 instantiate {
 Module: Linked to module rlm_exec
 Module: Instantiating exec
  exec {
        wait = no
        input_pairs = "request"
        shell_escape = yes
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_expr
 Module: Instantiating expr
/usr/local/etc/raddb/modules/counter[71]: Failed to link to module

'rlm_counter': rlm_counter.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory
Errors initializing modules
I "assume" this is my problem?  I did a find for rlm_counter.so and,
guess what, it was not found.  I then looked for just rlm_counter and it
was found in freeradius-server-2.1.4/src/modules/rlm_counter from the
tarball.  I did read a list post from back in October of 2002 that
talked about libtool not working well on SuSE, not sure if this is still
the case.
Any pointers? Am I going down the wrong road?
Is there anything else that is glaringly missing?  Any other relevant
info I need to add here to aid in getting help?
Thanks for any help.
--
JohnM