failover and load balancing

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at multinet.de
Wed Apr 22 15:26:46 CEST 2009

Am Mittwoch, 22. April 2009 15:20:11 schrieb Uwe Kastens:
> Hello,

> >> What is your need? More Read than write? Mabye think about mysql proxy
> >> or some free cluster option.
> >
> > First the disclaimer:
> >
> > I have not used this only read about it!
> > What about pgpoolII?
> > supposedly a PostgreSQL master-master replication package
>
> I think there might be much more read access then write access by using
> a DB backend for RADIUS. If so it might be enough to have one master to
> write and many slaves to read from. Or many master with a kind of sql
> proxy like Sequoia or mysql-proxy. The problem with master master for
> mysql is, that you have to resync each time you are dropping a table, a
> view etc.pp.
>
> BR
>
> uwe

It depends on what you are doing. If you want to read out you user database
for authentication you are right. But If you want to write accouting you have
a lot of writes. I have seen up to 300 writes/sec for a small national
provider.

Greetings,
--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: misch at multinet.de
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42