Request for opinion - central admin user server LDAP+FreeRADIUS

Andres Kaaber andres.kaaber at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 14:05:41 CEST 2009

Hello all
I'm assigned with a project to make a central admin user database for all kind
of servers / devices you can imagine (routers, switches, firewalls, linux
servers, windows servers, databases, etc.). The point is that when a news
employee arrives you just make him a user in this database, maybe check which
type of devices he can and all the devices are configured to authenticate users
against this db. We have over 200 switches alone in our company so making user
accounts in every single one of them and when this dude leaves to disable all
of them is huge (or impossible) work.
So I thought a linux server LDAP+FreeRADIUS for authentication sounds quick,
easy and good solution, or not? There is no problem with servers Linux and
Windows servers can authenticate against radius. Most popular DB -s can do
this also (Oracle, MySQL, PostgresSQL). I don't know about Cisco switches and
roters but as far I found in google there should be no problems the same goes
for juniper devices.
So what do you think? Or maybe you know a free software solution for this kind
of problem already? Sun identity management is one that i checked out but it
seems too bloated and complicated. So what are your thoughts?
--
Andres Kaaber