Request for opinion - central admin user server LDAP+FreeRADIUS

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Mon Aug 10 07:42:30 CEST 2009

Hi,

> Look at TACACS/TACACS+. Most devices support this. You will need a
> TACACS server which authenticates off a RADIUS server.
>
> For others is upto the software to implement a TACACS or direct RADIUS.

Most gear supports direct RADIUS just fine. TACACS+ is a proprietary
protocol and personally I have had the impression that it's dying a long
death. The *only* merit it has is on Cisco devices (Cisco is the
inventor of TACACS+): you can configure a feature called "command
authorisation" in Cisco gear, so that the device checks back every
single command a user enters in an interactive session. It could also be
done with a RADIUS attribute, but Cisco decided to explicitly
un-implement this single one feature to make TACACS+ superior over
RADIUS for that one feature. If you never heard nor care about Cisco's
command authorization, RADIUS should be the way to go.

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche