MSCHAP Authentication Issue

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Aug 14 21:41:48 CEST 2009

Garber, Neal wrote:
> I don’t profess to be an MS-CHAP expert, so what I’m about to say may be
> completely off-base.. After performing many tests (see below) and
> reviewing RFC2579 and the code in rlm_mschap.c, I’m hypothesizing that
> the problem is with how rlm_mschap calculates the challenge hash that is
> passed to ntlm_auth.  Specifically, rlm_mschap uses the User-Name
> attribute as part of the calculation of the hash.  What I’m finding is
> that, in some cases, the User-Name attribute doesn’t match the case of
> the Name field in the MS-CHAP response (i.e., the userid is the same, it
> just differs in case).

  That seems to be a good explanation for it.

> Does this seem like a plausible explanation for what’s happening?

  Yes.

>  If
> not, does anyone have any other ideas?  I need to resolve this in order
> to retire two old and cranky (and fairly useless because they don’t
> really do authorization) ACS servers!

  Well... that's a good reason to make sure we do it right.  Any day
where we can replace another RADIUS server with FreeRADIUS is a good day.

>  I’m going to try a change to
> rlm_mschap so it passes the Name field from the MS-CHAP response to the
> challenge_hash function (as opposed to the User-Name attribute) to see
> if that resolves the issue.

  I suspect that it will.  The mschap module should also pass the Name
field when calling ntlm_auth, too.  And maybe print a warning if the
fields are different.

>  I realize that ultimately it’s Windows
> fault that it doesn’t pass the userid with consistent case (i.e.,
> Identity vs. MS-CHAP response); but, I don’t want the ACS server to be
> seen as a better, more tolerant solution.  So, it would be great to make
> FR more tolerant of this aberrant behaviour.

  Hmm... Microsoft is aberrant.  I agree. :)

  And it gets a lot worse.  What do you do when the password is
internationalized?  Even the Microsoft people I talk to say "good luck".