Proxying accounting to create a 'tee'

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Aug 14 23:07:24 CEST 2009

On 14/08/2009 20:43, volkov at ufamts.ru wrote:
> John Morrissey wrote:
>> I'm looking to process RADIUS accounting locally (SQL) as well as proxy it
>> to a remote host (to some third party software that also wants to receive a
>> copy of all accounting).
>>
>> Is this possible with FreeRADIUS?

Yes. Works great.

Log the Accounting-Request using the 'detail' module, and write the request to your DB using the SQL module.

Then use the detail file listener (check the example file listed earlier in this thread), to proxy the Accounting-Requests off to the remote server.

So the accounting request comes in, is written to the flat file, is written to your SQL DB, if both modules return ok an Accounting-Response is sent to the NAS.

The virtual server tailing the flat file, reads the request out and proxies it to the home server, if all goes well the request is removed from the file and the next request is processed.

This also has the advantage of buffering requests in case of the remote server goes down.

For additional Tees into other DBs,Remote server just create additional detail writer/reader pairs.

Regards,
Arran
--
Arran Cudbard-Bell <A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk>,