Authentication with Active Directory with CHAP Passwords

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Aug 15 08:21:15 CEST 2009

Luiz Gustavo de Villa Scandelari wrote:
> I would like to receive some help on authentication with AD using CHAP
> Passwords.

http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html

  It's impossible.  Use a real LDAP server.

> I suppose that happens because I cannot read the AD user password,
> right?

  Yes.

> The important is that works with LDAP authentication.

  No.  It works with *clear-text password* authentication.

> The problem
> is that I have a system that sends Access-Requests with Username and
> CHAP-Passwords (CoovaChilli), so radius authorize the user but cannot
> authenticate it.

  Then fix it to send User-Password.

> I´ve already read the Allan´s webpage
> (http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/active_directory.html)
> about integration of AD and RADIUS but I still have some questions. Can
> I use CHAP with SAMBA ntlm_auth method

  The web page lists what's possible.  Using Samba won't help.

> or should i need to change the
> password encryption to another protocol such as PAP or MS-CHAP? If I
> modify the coovachilli to send PAP passwords, am I  going to be able to
> use ldap for authorization and authentication or do I need just plain?

  You will be able to use LDAP is Chilli sends PAP requests.