Some users getting duplicate "NULL" acctstoptime records in radacct

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Thu Aug 20 01:55:52 CEST 2009

Hi All,

I have a weird problem with my freeradius 2.1.6 setup which I have not
yet been able to fix.  Actually, the problem is I don't understand what
the hell is going on.

I'm using mysql for storing auth and acct info.  I'm also using sql
based simultaneous use checking to prevent a user from logging in more
than once.

For the most part, things are working well. However, we see some people
with an already active session (acctstoptime is set to NULL) get logged
in again and then get a NEW row added to radacct with the acctstoptime
set to NULL.  So, effectively, freeradius shows TWO live sessions for
the same user.  When we check the NASes, we see two sessions for the
same user there as well.

I've run radius in debug mode, reviewed the logs, checked the configs,
and I'm still lost on this.  I do see people getting rejected when they
try to log in more than once, which tells me the simultaneous checking
is working.

I don't understand why this is happening. What I'd expect to happen if
accounting stop packets got lost would be the user getting rejected if
he/she tried to log in again, but definitely would NOT expect seeing a
NEW record in radacct with acctstoptime set to NULL.

So, how could this happen?  If it helps, I'm not using an ippool at the
moment.  I have IPs assigned to the user with entries in radreply
(framed-ip-address).

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.27.29-170.2.78.fc10.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux